Today I was haunted by a snippet I heard on satellite radio.  It went something like this.  You can't bypass your life's journey. It is the cocoon that nourishes, and then releases your spirit.

Ironically, I came home to the news that my niece's mother will probably die tonight. Kendra has metastatic breast cancer that spread to her bones and brain. Her daughter, Nichole, is married to my brother's son, Chris. I love the two of them as if they were my own children.

It's been a painful journey for me because my mother died of breast cancer when I was twenty-nine. This journey with Nichole has brought back so many memories. One of the hardest lessons in life is letting go. Whether it's guilt, anger, love, loss or betrayal. We fight
to hold on and we fight to let go.

It is a day later and Kendra died last night.  I am comforted by the snippet I heard on the radio. And because of it, I imagine Kendra's soul released like a butterfly from its cocoon. I see how beautiful she is as she flaps her wings and flies.

Nichole was lying in bed next to her mother, holding her hand as she emerged. The symmetry of the image strikes me as incredibly beautiful. Kendra ushered Nichole into this life and Nichole ushered her mother out.

So this is my blog. What does this have to do with writing?  Everything.  We write when we hurt. We write when we feel joy. We write when we are so confused that we don't know where to turn. And we write when we want to give comfort to someone we love so much. We write when we know words don't help at times like this, but we just don't have anything else to give. And so, I give this to you, Nichole.

Comments

Anne Stabile
11/28/2013 8:25am

Beautiful thoughts on that transition called death each one of us will face. We have all lost loved ones, one way or another. As I make the traditional food for this holiday I realize I honor all those that came before me that got me to this place of abundance: family, friends, home, work, play, and the spirits of those who couldn't be here yet are here all the same. Writing has always seen me through, too. Thanks, Susan.

Carol clough
11/30/2013 1:42pm

So sorry! Just read this today.

12/04/2013 6:35pm

Susan, your writing touches deep in my heart. I find your ability to dig deeply, then share, an inspiration.

12/05/2013 5:43pm

Brings back so many memories of the people I've lost. Once again, dear Susan, you've brought tears to my eyes.

Dawn Blouin Trout
02/12/2014 11:10am

Thank you Susan ; That was beautiful!

11/03/2014 11:59pm

Hope i achieve as much success as you have. Thanks for all.

10/25/2015 12:02am

This is a great post that the love in mothers heart for their children's never dues. The mother are always where the children's are in difficulties and problems.

03/18/2016 7:20am

Amen to these thoughts bypassing our life’s journey. Your readers appreciate the fact that you have the talent and zeal to write about life’s transitions with a remarkable sense of authenticity and spirituality. We are blessed that you have the courage to share these thoughts with the world much as John Fowles axiomatically stated that: “Death is not in the nature of things; it is the nature of things. But what dies is the form. The matter is immortal.”

In respective “celebrations of life,” many of your readers will easily relate to what Daniela I. Norris, recaps in On Dragonfly Wings: A Skeptic’s Journey to Mediumship: “I can still only see a dragonfly, its wings as thin and light as silk and its body the color of rainbow. But on the wings of this dragonfly I take off and fly, for my soul carries no weight. It is our bodies – these borrowed vehicles of flesh and bone – that weigh us down. Our spirits are eternally free and invincible.”

Lastly, “In the book of Job, the Lord demands, ‘Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth?’

‘I was there!’ – Surely that is the answer to God’s question. For no matter how the universe came into being, most of the atoms in these fleeting assemblies that we think of as our bodies have been in existence since the beginning. Each breath we take contains hundreds of thousands of the inert, pervasive argon atoms that were actually breathed in his lifetime by the Buddha, and indeed contain parts of all the ‘snorts, sighs, bellows, shrieks” of all creatures that ever existed or will exist. These atoms flow backward and forward in such useful but artificial constructs as time and space, in the same universal rhythms, universal breath as the tides and stars, joining both the living and the dead in that energy which animates the universe.” ― Peter Matthiessen, The Snow Leopard

08/18/2016 12:54am

I am sure it was very painful for you. I am deeply sorry...

08/30/2016 10:15pm

I am very sorry to hear this.