This year I added to our holiday decorations a large wreath over our kitchen sink with big red letters spelling out the word BELIEVE.

While visiting for Christmas, my ten-year-old granddaughter asked me why I'd chosen that particular word. I told her that Christmas and the beginning of a new year was a time to reevaluate our lives, to rethink where we are, what we've accomplished,  where we want to be and what we still want to do in our lifetime. I told her how important it is to believe in something larger than ourselves. Believe in God. Believe in the power of love--which might be the same thing.  Believe in miracles. In family.  In the inherent goodness of others. Or even in the Santa Claus myth--which embraces family, miracles and love. But, perhaps most importantly, we need to believe in ourselves and our dreams.

For as long as I can remember I've written poems. As a child, it was the way I attempted to make sense of a world that often seemed random, senseless and chaotic.  Poetry meant so much to me that I studied it in college. Throughout the past thirty years I've published poems in small literary journals and anthologies. But I always dreamed of having a collection of my poems in print.

On this New Year's Day 2014, I reviewed the proofs of my upcoming poetry book, "A Question of Mortality." I looked at beautiful and amazing possibilities for cover art. And I haven't been able to stop smiling since I received the proofs.  What a wonderful gift, what a way to usher in a new year.

It has been a long time coming. There were moments when I got discouraged, but I never stopped believing it was possible, never stopped believing it could happen.

This is my New Year's wish for all of you.  Understand what it is you want to accomplish in your life.  Know who you are and what you want to become.  And never, never stop believing you can do it.  There is an incredible power in that one little word. BELIEVE.

Comments

01/02/2014 9:16am

Another wonderful post! And I do BELIEVE!

03/31/2016 3:40am

Sometimes it's better to have no resolutions; you just continue to complete and achieve your goals and work hard. Everything requires hard work and study. Whether it's for school, work or relationships, trying to be a better person is the most important of all. Sometimes depending on the topic and based on the language used, the narrative is easier to read and sense. It's a type of language on its own contradicting those who say that can express better.

Linda
01/02/2014 11:40am

I always get excited when my cousin writes a blog. Her words seem to comfort and give peace. I past this along to all who know her and for those who don't. She is an excellent writer who shows love, warmth and absolute caring for all around her. I am so proud she is my cousin/sister of the heart. If you agree spread her words and share on fb. And yes "I Believe"!

01/02/2014 12:11pm

Thanks Linda and Martha. It's always good to hear from believers. If we believe, we can do great things.

01/02/2014 12:11pm

Susan, your writing gave me a tingle of the possible. The feeling that there is hope for everything and anything.
Of course, those of us who read you always believed that you would come to this place of publishing your poems. Congratulations! I can't wait to get a copy.

01/02/2014 12:12pm

01/02/2014 12:12pm

01/02/2014 1:10pm

Thanks, Theresa. Your comment was so great, it got posted three times. :) and I don't mind one bit.

Patsy Lally
01/30/2014 8:44am

so, what I came away with is that you told me I didn't look fat in my jeans...do we have potential conflict???

02/10/2016 10:53pm

Or even in the Santa Claus myth--which embraces family, miracles and love.

03/17/2016 4:11pm

Belief, meaning, and faith (with a healthy dose of how to reason) provide help us ground our very existence and none are worth of whit to our human and divine interconnectedness if we don’t live our lives without a sense of openness to love and compassion for others. In much the way Susan captures life in her own way, Anais Nin nailed this in The Diary of Anais Nin, Volume 1: 1931-1934: “There is not one big cosmic meaning for all; there is only the meaning we each give to our life, an individual meaning, an individual plot, like an individual novel, a book for each person.”

Stanley Kubrick dares us to look start at the beginning with our own tabula rasa: “The very meaninglessness of life forces man to create his own meaning. Children, of course, begin life with an untarnished sense of wonder, a capacity to experience total joy at something as simple as the greenness of a leaf; but as they grow older, the awareness of death and decay begins to impinge on their consciousness and subtly erode their joie de vivre, their idealism – and their assumption of immortality. As a child matures, he sees death and pain everywhere about him, and begins to lose faith in the ultimate goodness of man. But, if he’s reasonably strong – and lucky – he can emerge from this twilight of the soul into a rebirth of life’s élan. Both because of and in spite of his awareness of the meaninglessness of life, he can forge a fresh sense of purpose and affirmation. He may not recapture the same pure sense of wonder he was born with, but he can shape something far more enduring and sustaining. The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile but that it is indifferent; but if we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death – however mutable man may be able to make them – our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.”

Finally, lyrics from Forever Young, the only song Bob Dylan ever wrote in Tucson, could well represent a personal anthem of sorts for all of us, who like you and yours, do believe:

“May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you

May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung
May you stay forever young
Forever young, forever young

May you stay forever young.
May you grow up to be righteous
May you grow up to be true
May you always know the truth

And see the lights surrounding you
May you always be courageous
Stand upright and be strong
May you stay forever young

Forever young, forever young
May you stay forever young.
May your hands always be busy
May your feet always be swift

May you have a strong foundation
When the winds of changes shift
May your heart always be joyful
And may your song always be sung
May you stay forever young

01/05/2017 4:29am

Thanks for sharing your work. I now need to add some interactivity to the offline map, so that a user can get info after clicking on a point.