The next stop on our blog tour is Grants Pass, Oregon—a small town nestled on the banks of the Rogue River.  It’s a picturesque place surrounded by the Siskiyou and Cascade Mountain ranges—an ideal setting for the writing life to unfold.

I’ve been passed the torch for this “My Writing Process” blog by the very talented Helen Hanson, author of three technothrillers including 3 LIES, #1 on Amazon’s Best Technothrillers list. All that fame, and she's a really nice person, too. Check out Helen’s work here: http://www.helenhanson.com.

What am I working on?

While I have been writing fiction for more than a decade, Wellstone Press published my first collection of Poems, A Question of Mortality, earlier this summer.  As most of you know, poetry rarely makes any money. It is a labor of love—a passion that rises out of a need to understand more about our lives and how we choose to live them.

While giving public readings and actively marketing the poetry collection, I’ve been rewriting my novel, Redemption Lake. Liz Kracht, of Kimberly Cameron Agency, is representing this novel. Our first series of submissions brought 7 rejections. I’ve read each one of them carefully, trying to find a common denominator and understand the reasons for the rejections. Once I had a firm handle on the problem, I asked Liz for the opportunity to rewrite before our second round of submissions.

It’s been a fascinating process and I’ve had to revise a character I thought I knew well, digging deeper into what makes him uniquely Matthew Garrison. Matt is a seventeen-year-old boy, a poet, who is in love with Crystal Reynolds, a thirty-three year old woman and the mother of Matt’s best friend.  After the worst night of his life, Matt visits Crystal, finally tells her the truth about his feelings. They drink too many beers and before the night is over, they have sex. Matt is happier than he’s ever been. Crystal is horrified by what they’ve done and insists this can never happen again. She takes Matt’s keys and makes him sleep off the beer before driving. When he awakens, he finds Crystal murdered.

I’m nearly finished this rewrite and I think I’ve addressed the problem of editors not connecting with Matt as deeply as they wanted to. Unraveling a character to get to his core emotions is not always easy—because in doing so, writers are forced to confront many of our own demons.

How does my work differ from others in its genre?

I write family dramas, often encased in a mystery:

A seventeen-year-old, estranged from her father and stepmother, is babysitting her two-year-old half sister, Emily, when she is kidnapped from Ashland’s Lithia Park playground.

A teenager who murders her rapist father, disappears, renames and reinvents herself. Twenty years later, she is living a good life as the wife of a medical school dean, when their five year-old son is diagnosed with a chemotherapy-resistant leukemia and needs a bone-marrow transplant to survive. She must go back to rural Kentucky, find her birth family,  and face murder charges in an attempt to save her son.

Unlike a typical mystery, where the primary concern is to find the perpetrator, I am equally concerned with the family dynamics and how tragedy unravels each life and forces the character to confront their inner demons and grow in ways they didn’t believe possible.

Why do I write what I do?

At a recent PNWC (Pacific Northwest Writer’s Conference) I listened to Bob Dugoni give a keynote address in which he asked us to write down some of the things that have defined us as individuals.

I am defined by my family of origin, by growing up with four brothers near the Delaware River and by having a father crippled by a grenade during World War II. Though I was neither conceived nor born at the time of his injury, I was and continue to be defined by it in some important ways. Two of my brothers died at thirty-nine. One a suicide, the other a victim of a hit and run accident. My mother was a southerner, with a beautiful singing voice. I believe much of my poetry arose from the sound of her voice filling places that would otherwise be dark. I am defined by my two children and the many lessons they taught me about life and what it means to be human.

Perhaps the first requirement for good writing is some kind of truth—a connection between what is being written about and the author’s own experience in the world of fact, dream and imagination. I was grateful for Bob Dugoni’s exercise and pleased to realize I am writing what I was born to write—Family Dramas.

How does my writing process work?

I rarely start a novel without knowing how it is going to end. Often an ending is implicit in the beginning—so the two are symbiotic and the beginning needs the ending to proceed. In the writing of my last few novels, and I suspect all future ones, I write a “step sheet”. In this document, I give a brief summary of what happens in the scene, how it moves the story forward, and how the characters are changed by the events of the scene. I usually have about 60-70 steps before I start to write the novel.  These steps are not cast in stone and they change frequently. But it is much easier to throw out a paragraph than it is to dump a 20-page scene.  Doing a step sheet allows me to see the manuscript it its entirety.  I indicate the growth for each of my characters (pole to pole--so they are dramatically changed by the events of the novel.) And one of the most helpful tools for me in writing a novel is the central dramatic story question. (CDQ)

Will Catherine Henry face a past in which she murdered her rapist father in order to save the life of her 5-year-old son?  Once I have the CDQ in place, I use it as a guide for what should and should not be in the novel.  Each scene in the novel should be propelling us toward the answer to that question.  It saves a lot of unnecessary work, cutting and rewriting.

When I decide to write the opening line of a novel, I have a strange, but necessary ritual. I put on my writer’s cap and sit at the kitchen table with a yellow-lined tablet. I always write the first line in longhand—searching for a hook, a sentence that raises a story question and will entice the reader to go on. I may fill several pages with “first lines” until I find the perfect one. Once I have it, I head to the computer and don’t write another line in long-hand until it is time to start the next novel.  I know. It’s weird. Writers are weird and usually proud of it.

Who’s Next?

It is my pleasure to introduce you to Peter Hogenkamp, a Vermont physician, husband, father of four and author of The Jesuit Thriller series. Several months ago, Peter started a website called Prose & Cons where industry professionals and authors, most of them represented by Liz Kracht of Kimberly Cameron, come together to share their writing lives and insights in blogs that are posted on a daily basis.  Check it out.  And learn more about Peter at http://peterhogenkamp.com

Comments

10/30/2014 4:42am

This is a good blog post, I was wondering if I could use this summary on my website.

11/27/2014 12:41am

As a novice writer from Vincentown in New Jersey, I usually do an extensive research about the finale of my write ups. It is due to the reason that I really want a multiplicity of concepts whenever I finished the last page of a good novel. Perhaps, we have different styles on how we process our mind and hands in completing a written piece. Anyhow, I still consider your techniques in absorbing some inspirational stuff to achieve a masterpiece. By the way, I've already visited the pages of your writing networks; all I can say is that there are also satisfactory good. I am hoping that I could also be your apprentice. I can't wait to be as one of your learners. Thanks a lot for motivating me to inscribe better ideas. I will be your undying virtual lurker and a devoted aficionado that is obviously still unnamed. Have a great day ahead!

12/27/2014 7:11am

Wow! I am genuinely impressed by the way you detailed out all the things. It can be really going to assist me a good deal. Thanks for sharing your thoughts so clearly.

Many thanks with the details. You delivered meals for thought. Thanks for sharing the main points. Each on the handiest to you

07/16/2015 10:42pm

To write effectively, you need depth. And you can only have that if you have the writing maturity. What do I mean by this? Knowing when to show restrain when you write to convey the emotions that you are feeling as a writer is a trademark that you have matured as a writer. The most mistake a writer can do is to inundate his or her readers with too much details, which if left unchecked will result in disconnected storyline. I hope aspiring writers avoid that mistake by having a critic provides honest feedback.

07/30/2015 12:51pm

Hey Dude! I've already frequented the webpages of your writing networks; all I can say is that there are also acceptable excellent. I am expecting that I could also be your newbie. I can't delay to be as one of your students. Thanks a lot for encouraging me to inscribe better concepts. I will be your never-ending exclusive lurker and a dedicated powerful that is obviously still un-named.

08/03/2015 3:21am

If you begin writing and you have no concept where you are going, sometimes that is excellent because I've discovered that my creativity requires over and that's when i write my most exciting things. BUT you have to have a primary story to adhere to. Otherwise it just won't perform.

Whether you know it or not, there’s a process to writing – which many writers adhere to normally. If you’re just getting began as a writer, though, or if you always discover it difficult to generate an essay, brief tale or weblog, following the writing process will help.

Writing is a procedure that includes at least four unique steps: prewriting, creating, changing, and modifying. It is known as a recursive procedure.

You’re certainly a great writer. Your post provided me with many helpful pieces of information.

10/21/2015 5:04am

Hi! I actually added your blog to my favorites list and look forward to get the same quality content every time I visit your blog. Thanks a lot.

I can tell you how to improve it!

03/12/2016 3:00am

Very wonderful written article.

03/21/2016 9:00am

As writers and readers alike come to the realization that each of us is our own never-ending CDQ, hopefully in the company of others but always faced with our unique worldviews and our solitude, I found these passages from a relatively new writer, Christopher Hawke, particularly compelling in light of current turbulent times:

“It’s no secret that we all live within a damning illusion called denial.

We are doomed by our own far-reaching imaginations and beliefs that extend into a glorified version of eternity. How are we to live sanely on the earth, with our heads in the clouds, when we are so far from being giants? How are we to claim higher ideals, when God is absent from the conversations in our minds?

There can be no going back, once we’ve believed in perfection. We are slain by the stories we were taught as children, stories about Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and a God who cares.

We pass these heirlooms to our children with the same fervor with which they were delivered, never allowing ourselves to doubt their authenticity or value.

I wondered what the view held outside the proverbial slaughterhouse. For a spiritually awakened person, a good God seems the only reasonable answer. If there’s no eternal good, then what would be the use of life?

Man lays the tracks of good and evil before the train of his evolution, moving onward into places he barely understands”

“There are two different kinds of people in the world. There are people who instinctively look for every chance to be a “victim” and those who look for every chance to rise above—regardless of where they are in life and what’s happening around them. There are people who realize their ability to create (greatly influence) reality toward a positive direction for themselves and those around them, and unfortunately those who use this power we all have for destructive purposes for themselves and others—many times without even knowing what they’re doing or the power they have inside themselves. We are all powerful individuals. Let’s use that power to create something beautiful!”

Amen to that, kiddo!

I like your blog or information which you give in the article.

07/22/2016 6:44am

The article you have shared here very awesome. I really like and appreciated your work.

This post is really astounding one! I was delighted to read this, very much useful. Many thanks

11/16/2016 9:54pm

this post is very useful i like your blog

11/16/2016 9:57pm

your post is really very nice

Fine way of telling, and good paragraph to take information concerning my presentation focus, Thanks for sharing this info...!!!

12/31/2016 11:40am

Basically, the score can raise the measure of every month to month reimbursement, in this manner making the errand of securing home loan endorsement that bit harder. Contingent upon the extent of the home loan and the term of the credit, the expansion could make an interpretation of to $50 to $200 every month. Along these lines, it is not something to be disregarded.

01/01/2017 5:32am

What's more, to maintain a strategic distance from this, you have first to comprehend what kind of credit you have. There are distinctive sorts of home loan advances that are being offered nowadays and here is a summary rundown of most basic of it.