This is the third in my series of blogs about poetry and the things in life that trigger poems in me. Our lives aren't always easy, most of us have been wounded, but I've also been blessed with two children who have grown to be loving, productive and insightful adults. This feels like the biggest "success" of my life.

A few weeks ago my daughter wrote a letter to her dead father and sent it to me. It was a profound message, both inspiring and heartbreaking. I didn't know how to respond--wasn't sure what, if anything, she needed from me. I concluded she merely wanted an audience for her feelings--an address to send her letter--a living parent who cared enough to read the words she needed to write. The dead are alive when we think of them. Her intimate sharing brought many feelings to the surface for me--both for my child, and for her father.

Like I always do when I don't fully understand something, I write about it. Because poetry, for me, is a way to say what I can't say in any other medium. I want to go deeper, go beyond the surface to the "real" meaning. Though my daughter's letter was written to her father, it was also a gift to me. My gift to her in return is my poem, "In Love's Crucible". Somehow, between the letter and the poem, I hope truth is revealed. Her father faced Alzheimer's Disease, faced the loss of his memories, his brain, his bodily functions and finally his life. He left a legacy of courage to his children and grandchildren. He showed us all what it really means to be a hero. We can still learn from the dead if we're willing to open our hearts and listen.

With her permission, I share parts of her letter, followed by the poem it triggered. I think it will be easy to see how and why this poem found its way to the page.

Picturedrawing a clipper ship together
Dear Dad,
Today the index cards I made for the book I thought I could write about dementia, tucked in a corner of my bedside desk, literally flew at me. There was no wind. No reason. So bizarre. The room felt cold. I shivered as I picked them up. Out of the blue void. Defiance of physics. "Pop? Is that you?" I immediately thought you were there--telling me to keep writing.

I've been secretly waiting for a sign of you. Did it come today? You are gone. I can't call you or make you a breakfast burrito and put on Casablanca. I can't tell you about how the world has changed or listen to your thoughts about the many wars humans are still fighting. Everyday we lose more of your brave generation. The veterans of WWII. The survivors of the death camps. The nurses. The doctors. The philosophers and psychologists who said, "Yes!" to unconditional positive regard in the wake of such reckless hate.

I remember the day I read Viktor Frankl to you and you described the liberation of the American soldiers you witnessed in the Philippines. We talked for hours, trying to make sense of humanity and evil. You apologized for your anger toward the Japanese. You said you were wrong to react harshly to their presence when we went to the USS Arizona in Hawaii when I was ten. Mom looked at you and said, "They died here, too."

By the time you hit 85, you vowed to stop calling them "the Japs." You cried for the devastation at Hiroshima. You saw that all suffering is suffering. You struggled to release yourself from American tribal identity without sacrificing your patriotism and your love of freedom. You worked to transcend "us and them." I was your witness.

All those days and nights in hospitals. Your first hip fracture. They stood you up after surgery, one nurse on either side. Your bowels evacuated. It was automatic. You groaned in pain. The worst moment was when you noticed the feces. I immediately donned gloves and sang old Frankie Sinatra to you while cleaning.

Somehow, with the help of Sinatra, you managed to look at me and smile. You were so heroic, Dad--your courage and humor so much bigger than shame or fear. I believe you were laughing at the absurdity of it all. How could this happen to an accomplished and intelligent man like you? Together, we did the best we could. I think the nurses were shocked. God, we earned respect that day. Looking back, I know I did what I did because I couldn't bear for you to suffer shame on top of the theft of your mind and body.

I’m so sorry, Dad. I know you'd have rather been dancing in body and mind all the way to the end of your life. The last month in hospice was so hard on you. You were starving, but often would not eat.  Oh my father, I could hear your stomach churning. I was scared. I did what I could. I read your favorite poems and Bible verses. I played the music you loved, held your head and put lotion on your withered hands and feet. I gave you water when you'd take it and at least made sure your lips were not too dry when you wouldn't. You could barely speak. I tried hard to hear the meaning of every subtle non-verbal cue.

I couldn't stop that horrible disease. I couldn't stop time. In a way, I wanted to go with you when you crossed over. I don't know what that means. But it's true. I am not who I thought I was. In the final moment, while you gasped the last breath, I said: "It's ok. You can go. I'll be ok. I love you. I'll always love you."

I was crying. My voice shook. I spoke, though. I did. And I'm so glad if you were hearing anything at all, it was those words. When a single cloudy tear slid out of your right eye and you were gone, I was seized by the impulse to stand and raise my arms above my head, just in case your soul was hovering there, free at last. Free at last! I wanted to celebrate it, just in case consciousness is more than we think we know. Then I heard your voice. You said: "Let's dance.

I wanted you back. I fought with you as a child. I fought for you as an adult. I've fought for others in the eighth decade too. I did it because of you. The walls we tore down. The walks we took. You with your flashlight; me with my questions. The many ways you caused and quelled my fears. When I was small, I didn't believe you loved me. I thought I wasn't smart enough for you. By the end, I knew you did. It's been a year, Dad, and I still hear you. I saved all of your voicemails.

It took seven years for Alzheimer's disease to destroy your brain. Every bit of sheer perseverance I mustered came from you. Every bit of spiritual guidance came from Mom.

I will always love you, Dad.

IN LOVE’S CRUCIBLE

On the first anniversary of his death
my daughter writes a letter to her father
and mails it to me. Winter whiteness fills
every room in my house. Silence hides
so much it is easy to forget and see only
beauty—a lone cardinal at the empty feeder.
This big loss behind her, so many still ahead.
One pine needle at a time, the world diminishes.

As a child, she fought hard with her father.
Now, she wants him back. Thanksgiving dinners.
long talks at the Cliff House. His wry laughter.
Always the Navy man,  lectures on the Great War,
remorse at the vacation when she was ten
and he raged at tourists in Pearl Harbor as they snapped
photos of the USS Arizona. She alone witnessed
his late vow to stop calling them “Japs”.
His tears for Hiroshima. Alzheimer’s
taught him one man’s suffering belongs to every man,
and now even his repented sins are hers for good.

In a lucid moment, he looks up at her and says,
“I used to be smart.” She swallows the childhood fear
she wasn’t smart enough for his love, places her hand on
his chest, sharp closeness of ribs. “Do you still feel

love in here, Pop?”  When he nods, she tells him
this is the only smart that matters.

My door, once frozen to him, opens at once to her grief.
I stand at the window and look at the dirt road that leads
to her childhood. Even as a baby, her face reflected every
season’s weather, happiness pink as dogwood blossoms.
Rage, a summer monsoon with hail and tornado winds blowing.

Later, when his walls collapse and hips fracture, she grows
wings of protection that flutter over him like moths in search
of his light. As disease takes his mind

and he forgets how to swallow,
she fights hard for him, sings Sinatra to fill
his heart with joy as she moistens lips with cotton balls, rubs
lotion into withered hands, reads poetry and Bible verses
while trying to catch each nonverbal cue.

When the end comes, she is still there, raising arms
in hopes his soul feels her presence
as it hovers in the reflective glow of a sun that lingers golden
on the sea’s surface, blinks, then slowly fades
and sinks below the horizon.

Susan Clayton-Goldner

Comments

03/01/2016 3:37pm

As always amazing --- seeing both of your words makes my heart ache and smile. Love is a strange animal that often does this to us all. Love you both.....

08/15/2016 2:05am

It was a sad and touching letter. I don't know how hard it was for you to lose someone due to Alzheimer's syndrome. It must be really tough for you to know that one of your loved ones was diagnosed with this sickness. I send my condolences to you. Have a good day

Jane Sutherland
03/01/2016 3:39pm

Lovely poem, like snapshots of memory of a love for a parent.

04/12/2017 6:59am

Yes, indeed. Don't forget to call your parents on this weekends!

Charles Dallmann
03/01/2016 4:02pm

The letter and poem show how love and empathy bring forth new realizations about the past and healing in the present. I was moved by both. What makes us secure really is the understanding and attachment to another. I was surprised that the most touching and courageous event in the letter, (to me) how she cleaned up her father and cheered him up was handled abstractly in the poem, perhaps for personal reasons outside the poem.

Anne Stabile
03/01/2016 6:09pm

As many of my friends lose their WWII Veteran fathers, I realize how important those men were to our lives as women: wives, daughters, granddaughters. There had to be a hardness to them that allowed them to do what they did even to see what they saw. Throughout every story I hear, poem or letter I read, one thing strikes me as undeniably true: they protected us. From the horror of what they saw, what they had to do, who they had to be--some as young as 17 or slightly older, like my father at 21. They faced the poverty of the Depression during childhood only to emerge as young adults with the world depending on them to save it from a malevolent evil. They protected us, wives, daughters, granddaughters, but doing so took its toll. I love the way your poem, Susan, reiterates and at the same time bears witness to your daughter's experience of this man who went through so much and changed and likely saved so many lives, and then strove toward a greater understanding in his lifetime. I think how lucky you are that you both could witness those changes, and to understand the true cost of war and the singular power of forgiveness. Beautiful as usual. Thank you both so much.

Galen Skelton
03/02/2016 4:18am

I'm so glad I took the time to read this portion of your daughters letter and your heartfelt poem. It warmed my heart to read of her love for her dad. This clock of our lives continues to click away for all of us. It seems to me that as I get older and remain healthy, thank the Lord, that I really don't know when or how my life will end, but as we all realize,,,,the end is coming. Thanks for sharing this intimate moment. Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Patti Sias
03/03/2016 8:59am

Your words always paint the most vivid and beautiful pictures in my mind. Having recently lost my father-in-law, a WWII veteran, this letter and poem were so meaningful. Thank you for your talent of writing such wonderful stories/poems and sharing them with the rest of the world.

Andreas Goldner
03/11/2016 4:52pm

This an amazing piece of work frought with feelings and emotions.Having participated in some of the mentioned experiences, the letter and poem truely express the emotions that wre felt both by Bonnie and Susan. It is an exceptional eulogy for John.

03/12/2016 2:43pm

Bonnie's letter and your poetry touch my heart, especially because I'm sitting alongside a dear friend who is in the last stages of cancer. Although he has lost most of his ability to move, he manages to tell me he loves me. He is 79 but that suddenly seems too young for him to leave this Earth. I cry a lot when he's not looking. When I give him his five or more pills twice a day and they get stuck in his throat, he calls me "a little shit." His son says that in his family it's a term of endearment.

03/14/2016 7:18am

I totally agree that this is a great piece of work! I think that you have your own unique style of writing beautiful words.

03/15/2016 2:36pm

Amazing heartfelt work, my friend, that triggers my sharing of three topical reflections that I’ve used to help me bear the passing of significant others in my life.

Beau Taplin writes: “It’s strange how your childhood sort of feels like forever. Then suddenly you’re sixteen and the world becomes an hourglass and you’re watching the sand pile up at the wrong end. And you’re thinking of how when you were just a kid, your heartbeat was like a kick drum at a rock show, and now it’s just a time bomb ticking out. And it’s sad. And you want to forget about dying. But mostly you just want to forget about saying goodbye.”

Bianca Sparacino from Dying is Certain, Living is Not, axiomatically asserts (in a manner that I attempt to do my best in following) that: “You were built from this Earth and you will return to it. However, just as death takes what it can from life, we must do the same. We must challenge life, and demand more from it. We must laugh without questioning if we are laughing too loud, we must pursue goals without worrying about failure. We must take from life what we know we deserve, and we must tell ourselves every single day that we are worthy of experiencing an existence that is chalked full of breathtaking beauty.”

Finally the lesson that I’ve found the hardest to heed regarding those I’ve cared about the most: “You cannot save people. You can only love them.” ― Anais Nin

03/19/2016 8:29am

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.I’ll use this information for my essays.

03/20/2016 10:24am

Thank you for taking the time to comment Harrison. Comments from people who don't know me always make me feel good and as if the work I put into the blogs are iworth it. All the best to you

03/22/2016 2:06pm

Wow... Brought tears to my eyes. What an amazing daughter you have. We can love, learn, and forgive even till our last day on earth. Loved the poem!

Martha R
03/29/2016 12:30pm

Love the poem you [and your daughter, too] have made of this universal experience of loss. Thank you.

The writers are having ability to write on any topic, and they trying to convince and grab the attention of public through their writing. The peoples who have some weakness in writing and content they have to get the tuition or writers help. I like your writing style that is unbelievable.

10/20/2016 11:55pm

Thanks for sharing the facts. You truly impressed me by this post of yours. And what exactly is additional commendable will be the authenticity in the content material.

12/27/2016 1:18am

I like this post it is very precious for me