I'm doing something a little different for this week's blog. I'm always fascinated by what people choose to do with their lives and why. Very few writers make even a dollar an hour for the time they spend writing. But we are compelled to do it. And many of us, like Maya, began to write and tell our stories as soon as we could hold a pencil or utter a complete sentence.

I am pleased to introduce Maya Tyler, author of the paranormal romance Dream Hunter.

Q: Tell us something about yourself.

A: I’m married to my high school sweetheart and we have two sons and a nine pound shih tzu. I love to read anything I can get my hands on, mainly romance these days. I have a strong interest in healthy living. I am active every day which helps when I decide to cheat on my diet. I have a weakness for carbs and I like a little cream and sugar in my coffee. I love being outside and outdoor living in my backyard (work-in-progress) paradise. We grew beans and broccoli this summer, but I didn’t help much… I have a completely black thumb.

Q. How did you get into writing?

A: As soon as I could hold a pencil, I was writing little stories. I have a box full of stories and poems I wrote as a child, mostly handwritten. These days my first drafts are electronic and saved on my laptop. I just find it easier to express myself in written (or typed) words. I love to read and writing is a natural extension of that love for the written word. Whether I’m blogging, plotting, writing or revising, I try to write every day.

Q. How do you develop your plots and characters?

A: I have an active imagination and love creating believable characters. For the most part, my plots just come to me. I start writing and the story appears in my mind like a movie. Dream Hunter, in particular, was inspired by a dream I had.

Q: What inspires you to write?

A: I write because I love a happily-ever-after. Life isn’t always lollipops and rainbows, it is unpredictable with ups and downs. When I read, I am drawn into a book and, for a time, distracted from life’s worries. I want to write a book which provides my reader with the same solace.

Q: Who is your all-time favorite character (from your books) and why?

A: Gabe, from Dream Hunter, will always have a special place in my heart. I wanted to create a sexy and strong hero, with a hidden protective and sensitive side, and Gabe appeared in my mind. What I didn’t expect was his rebellious and defiant nature, but it certainly came in handy when he met my heroine Cynthia.

Q: Do you prefer coffee or tea?

A: Coffee… I prefer a dark roast and I love Starbucks…

Q: What’s better than chocolate?

A: A lot of women swear by chocolate as their go to sweet. I, unfortunately, have been allergic to chocolate since I was a child. Don’t worry, there are plenty of other vices out there… I get my sugar fix from cake, pie and cookies (whatever’s in the house).

Q: If you believed in this sort of thing and could channel an artist from the beyond, who would it be and why?

A: I ask this question of the authors I interview as well. I would select a humanitarian, one who creates art, not in the traditional sense, but through their betterment of the world. Princess Diana has long inspired me with the grace and compassion she brought to the world.

Q: What are your plans for the future? Where do you see yourself in five years?

A: My plans for the future are centered on my health. I plan to continue to live a healthy life and strive to make the world a better place for my children. I see myself writing and publishing more paranormal romance novels.

Q: Any advice for those aspiring novelists out there?

A: If you are an aspiring novelist, keep writing. Write for the pure joy of writing, not to get published or become famous.

Biography:

Maya Tyler is a romance author, blogger, wife, and mother. She has a degree in Commerce. Over the past few years, she decided to unleash her creative streak and get serious about writing. So far, she has published a short story “Just for Tonight” in an anthology called With Love from Val and Tyne and her debut paranormal romance novella Dream Hunter. She has also written a few other books (Her latest, A Vampire’s Tale, is scheduled to be released in 2017). Writing mostly paranormal romances, all her books have a common theme – happily ever after. When she’s not writing, you can find her playing with Lego and watching superhero movies with her husband and sons.

Thanks for your time, Maya.

Comments

Maya Tyler
09/22/2016 9:44am

Thanks for having me!

10/01/2016 9:33am

If you're new to the blogging world, you may be looking for a few easy blogging tips for beginners. Don't let blogging intimidate you! Even if you're starting from scratch, a successful blogging career is easily achieved.

10/01/2016 6:09pm

good

Its beautiful story and tips for writing essay. As a silly as it may sound, the vital and most important tip you can ever receive when writing an essay about a novel is to read the actual thing. There is some students who think they can wing it. They think they can write an essay about a novel without having read the novel. Look upon your essay with three distinct sections. You will have chosen a point of view having read the novel. You need to announce your point of view, which will come in the introduction, prove your point of view, which will come in the body of the essay, and finally you'll make a summary of your point of view, which will come in the conclusion.

10/02/2016 8:26am

It was a pleasure to read this interview. Maya is such an interesting person.

This month I am highlighting my own particular written work. I understood, as a moderately new and obscure writer, I ought to post my very own greater amount composing. On the off chance that potential perusers enjoyed my composition tests, then maybe they would purchase my book.

10/07/2016 10:42pm

What effective strategies can one take to safeguard against Internet plagiarism? What proven actions can be taken when one discovers that their work has been plagiarized? Passionate About Plagiarism provides practical strategies to defend against and fight plagiarism.

Great article! This is the type of information that are meant to be public around the internet.

Wow... Now she made me more inspired to finish my novel. That's what's important when it comes to writing. You have to keep on writing and reading because this is the novelist's bread and butter. Other than that, it's important to have an open mind and a wild imagination. Anyway, I hope that Ms. Tyler will write more stories in the future.

12/19/2016 9:24am

Milk does have nutritional benefits such as calcium and protein in milk. But milk also has this effect of spiking your insulin levels. Elevated insulin levels affect your ability to burn belly fat.

Barry Wilson
12/28/2016 7:07am

Maya,
Thanks for filling in this month and exposing us to your work. Like Susan you take your inspiration from what happens around you, realizing that, at times, you can uniquely see what needs to seen and shared around you.
Here is a thought on living an authentic life as we head into 2017:
“Whether through the patterns left in snow, or geese honking in the dark, or through the brilliant wet leaf that hits your face the moment you are questioning your worth, the quiet teachers are everywhere, pointing us to the unlived portion of our lives. When we think we are in charge, the lessons dissolve as accidents or coincidence. But when we’re humble enough to welcome the connections, the glass that breaks across the room is offering us direction, giving us a clue to the story we are in.” ― Mark Nepo from The Exquisite Risk: Daring to Live an Authentic Life

01/04/2017 3:01pm

Something has gone bad when I browsed this page a few hour ago. But now it seems that there's nothing happen. Anyway, it's very interesting story. Love to read.

03/09/2017 9:26pm

There have been many changes to the world of computer games over the last 30 years. Here, I discuss how gaming has changed between the 1980s and the present day.

03/26/2017 2:03am